You have no items in your shopping cart.
Amendment to Definition of Smoking in Utah Indoor Clean Air Act
Sponsored by Bradley G. Last and Michael G. Waddoups
Amendment to include electronic cigarettes and heated tobacco products in the definition of smoking.
It is imperative that all Utah residents reach out and contact their local representative regarding HB245 and request that their representative vote no on the passing of this bill. You can view the full proposed amendment.
CASAA suggests you say:
1. You oppose the inclusion of electronic cigarettes in HB245 S3.
2. Tell your story about how switching to an e-cigarette or smokeless tobacco has changed your life.
3. Explain how electronic cigarette use is easy to distinguish from actual smoking. Although some e-cigarettes resemble real cigarettes, many do not. It is easy to tell when someone lights a cigarette due to the smell of the smoke. Electronic cigarette vapor is practically odorless. What odor is present is not unpleasant and smells nothing like smoke.
4. Let your representative know that vapor does not behave in the same manner as smoke. There is no “side stream” vapor like side stream smoking coming from the lit end of a cigarette. There is also no ask or litter. With so little evidence of use, enforcing indoor use bans on electronic cigarettes would be nearly impossible.
5. Inform your representative that the ability to use electronic cigarettes in public spaces will actually improve public health by inspiring other smokers to switch. Surveys of thousands of electronic cigarette users indicate that the majority of those who switch completely replace tobacco cigarettes with the electronic cigarettes, reducing their health risks by 98-99%.
6. Reiterate that by switching to a smokeless product, you have greatly reduced your health risks.
We encourage you to call, write, and email your representatives. Here is a list of Utah Senate members that have provided their email addresses.
Thank you to our friends at CASAA for your list of suggestions for those reaching out! We appreciate you and your work!